5 Common Dental Issues Braces Can Fix
It’s no secret orthodontics can give you a better and brighter smile. In fact, about 4 million Americans in the U.S. have braces, according to the American Association of Orthodontists.
But what kind of dental issues do braces actually help to repair? Here are five common dental problems you can fix with braces.
- Misaligned jaw. It’s not always your teeth that have misalignment problems. Jaw misalignment can cause overbites, underbites, and chronic pain. Your orthodontist can help to gradually move the teeth and jaw into alignment using braces. Braces are also often the go-to treatment for overbites when the upper jaw sits too far forward.
- Speech issues. While some speech impediments can be fixed using speech therapy, others can be fixed by repairing teeth alignments that may be causing the speech issue. People pronounce words using their teeth and tongue. When you have a misalignment, it can keep you from pronouncing words or letters correctly. Speech problems can also be caused by habitual teeth grinding, jaw damage, and bruxism. When your orthodontist corrects these misalignment issues, you can improve your speech.
- Gaps between teeth. Some dental gaps can be fixed cosmetically by using dental bonding or dental veneers. In a dental bonding procedure, a dentist applies a tooth-colored resin to both teeth to fill in the gap. But dental gaps are small enough, they can actually be repaired by your orthodontist.
- Overcrowding. Overcrowded teeth can not only be painful but they can also impact your overall dental health. Improper teeth alignment puts pressure and wear and tear on adjacent teeth. This causes them to wear down their enamel faster, which can cause sensitivity and pain. Your orthodontist can help to reduce overcrowding by aligning your teeth correctly to prevent wear.
- Reduced risk of misshapen teeth caused by misalignments. when your teeth are overcrowded or your jaw is misaligned, it can cause some of your teeth to be at risk of damage. While braces can’t repair misshapen teeth (that’s a job for veneers), they can repair the misalignments that may have caused them or may put you at risk for them.
Looking for affordable braces Orlando FL residents trust?
When you’re smiling, you want to look and feel your best. That’s where your orthodontist comes in.
The professional and experienced orthodontists at Smiley Face Braces can help you get your confidence back in no time. For more information about our braces, contact Smiley Face Braces today.